So, what exactly is consignment? How does it compare to selling your clothes outright? We get these questions a lot, so here’s a handy-dandy “pros vs cons” list for those who are new to consignment!
- Appointments mean you’ll never have to wait “your turn” in line! We’ve allotted that time just for you.
- At Labels Consignment, we offer 50% of the selling price to the consignor. This is one of the best consignment “deals” in town. At many other shops, the consigner only receives 40% of the selling price, or less.
- Extra time is spent getting your items ready to sell, making them look more presentable and attractive to buyers. And it ensures the next person to buy your pieces will enjoy and appreciate them to their fullest!
- Consignment is typically known for more exceptional labels and brands. At Labels, we take a wide range of brands, from the more affordable to expensive designer.
- Look for consignment shops in busy neighborhoods. The busier the store, the more likely your items will sell! Labels has thrived within the popular Phinneywood neighborhood for nearly three decades, and we have a wonderful, revolving customer base.
- Most consignment stores are locally-owned and -operated businesses. When you consign your clothing, you’re supporting family-run shops that are becoming harder and harder to find!
- Making an appointment means waiting longer to get your items in.
- Consigner is paid after the item sells.
- More selective with inexpensive brands and condition of items.
- No appointment needed.
- Cash offered on the spot.
- The biggest drawback is that buyers usually only offer up to 1/3 of the expected selling price.
- If you arrive during a busy time, you may need to wait longer than expected.
- Often times, brand-name or designer labels cannot be priced as high, therefore the return on those items is lower.
We understand that consignment isn’t for everyone. The process overall can take a while. But when all is said and done, you get more of the value of your wardrobe back, and you know your clothes will be treated well and go to a good home!